Saturday, November 8, 2008

November 2008




(click on the pictures to see them more clearly)
Chi Blog ------

It's been a while since our last update and a lot has happened since then

I turned 40, so I am now technically middle aged. I think I've aged reasonably well as I still have my own teeth and only a few grey hairs. I didn't want a big party so I decided to take the family to San Diego zoo. On my acutal birth day I attended a church membership class so now I am an official member of Grace Community church. All the new members also had to stand up at the front of the church for a small ceremony. (picture below)



I'm coming now to the end of my first semester and the time has flown by. I'm still struggling with Hebrew but I think I'm going to pass the class which is a relief. I've learnt a lot in short space of time. I have decided to join the Drug and Alcohol abuse ministry at Grace Community Church. I am visiting a rehab centre called Acton with an amazing guy called Patrick who has been involved in the this ministry for many many years. Patrick runs a weekly bible study and I'm helping out. The centre at Acton is a old concentration camp (no comment) that has been converted into a place where people can stay so they can help from their addictions. Most of the people who attend the centre are straight out of Jail and need a lot of support. I might also get a chance to preach at one of the Sunday sessions sometime in the future.

The whole family is loving it out here - what do I like the most?

No particular order -the Seminary classes, Grace Community Church, spending time with Lisa (we even had the chance to see a film - Fireproof - good story and it will save a few marriages) , getting to know the Children better (they are growing fast- I think its all the sunshine), making friends, chatting to people who have the same beliefs that you have, the weather (only 2 days of rain since I've been here and its always warm and sunny),


Hummingbirds (we have them visit the flowers on our hedge they are amazing - they must have been created by a designer there is no-way these things evolved by blind chance), spending time reading God's word, listening to great preaching, being involved in ministry, and finally just watching God bless us and providing us with all that we need.

You can see from the pictures at the top how busy we have been you can see them better using the link

http://picasaweb.google.com/chiwahandlisa/ChowFamilyInCaliforniaNovember2008#

For those interested in hearing what Grace Community Church teaches I have good news for you. All the teaching of the church is now available for free to download on the Grace to you website. http://www.gty.org/

more on the amazing hummingbird -
His wings are attached to his shoulders in such a way that he can poise motionless in the air, and he can fly in any direction, forward, sidewise, up, sown -- and even backward, a feat no other bird can do. (Coronet Magazine)

"While hovering, a ruby-throated hummingbird beats its wings up to 75 times PER SECOND."
"In addition to backward flight, the hummingbird has achieved the aerodynamic miracle of sideways flight... which it does with no appearance of difficulty" ("Nature Parade," p. 206).

Lisa's Blog ...

Hi everyone - life is getting better and better as we are getting established here.

The children are great - The boys are loving the clubs they go to on a Wednesday and Sunday - they are learning a lot of Scripture and earn badges and candy each week. Daniel even received a Clubber of the Month award which he was very pleased with (see photo bottom right of collage). A couple of weeks ago Daniel had to go to the ER as he became ill very quickly with a headache, stiff neck and couldn't even drink at one point. He had Strep throat and a penicillin shot sorted him out. He's fine now. We still owe him a present for having that shot!

Eden and I are still enjoying our Friday morning class The Master's Kids - there is a trip every month and we have been to downtown LA on a train to Olvera Street, the oldest street in LA, and to a Pumpkin Patch which was a fruit, vegetable and animal farm where we chose a pumpkin in a Fall Festival . We also had a lot of fun yesterday at a nearby ice-skating rink (see the photo of Eden with a frame on the ice) - she loved it! I only fell over twice (very elegantly of course -is that possible??)

Miriam is growing up a lot - she says lots of words now and is very amusing and cute. She often amuses herself by drawing on paper or building dens with chairs, cushions and blankets! That's when she not watching Peter Rabbit with scary Mr McGregor!

Highlights for me since the last blog are :

- Going to Grace Community Church every week
- Learning about the Old Testament on a Tuesday night (just started a 2 year course)
- Homeschooling our children and being amazed at what they can absorb
- The perpetual sunshine
- A great dinner with the Gillespies (Jason and Tammy and family)
- Being given (by Tammy) loads of clothes - about 10 pairs of jeans and T-shirts for me and loads of childrens clothes !
- Hearing Daniel's budding American accent as he rolls his r's when he says Alexanderrr!
- Chi Wah's birthday lunch at an American Diner (see photo above) yummy chicken fajitas!
- Seeing the panda rolling around with her cub at the San Diego zoo
- Miriam's Mr McGregor impression
- Eating cookies and watching a Veggietales movie with all the family on our bed on Oct. 31st


One great day we had was last Saturday when the singles group at church looked after the children of the Seminary families so the husbands and wives could go out together. We had a date to see the new Kirk Cameron film Fireproof and it was fantastic and gives a great Gospel message and hope to those with dying marriages. And on the way to the film we saw the famous HOLLYWOOD sign in the mountains. I was so excited I just screamed at the top of my voice, I couldn't help myself. I felt like we'd finally arrived!!

I'm turning into an American mom a little bit as I regularly fix pancakes and syrup and homemade chocolate chip cookies for my family. Great taste but not so good for my waistline!

No comments: